RE: Fedora Core 1 + KDE unstable?

> ----------

That is strange, on my FC1 system I saw 2-3 pages of cryptic, newbie-eating,
PHB-scaring messages, before they were hidden by the gfx boot thing.

> Reminds me of Windows or MacOS boot sequence which is not such a bad
> thing.  The desktop looks almost exactly like RH9 which is not such a
> bad thing either.  Unfortunately, FC1 is completely unstable on my
> system, simple operations like cutting and pasting files between two
> folders lock up the system.  In another instance the system locked up
> during mouse-over of the 'find files' item on the KDE menu.  In all
> cases the system is locked up hard and normal escape routes
> (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, etc.) have no effect.  So after
> three hard crashes in ten minutes I'm thinking that FC1 + KDE is
> completely unstable and maybe I should try using GNOME instead.  Okay, I
> switch my desktop to GNOME, and I pull up the file manager to continue
> what I was doing before the crash.  But the file manager (the 'start
> here' icon on the desktop) is actually Konqueror, and as soon as I try
> to cut-n-paste some files from one place to another the system locks up
> again.  Apparently when you install KDE and GNOME together it uses  some
> KDE stuff (e.g. Konqueror) within GNOME and vice versa.  Has anyone else
> seen this problem?  I have three theories to explain this behavior, if
> someone can confirm or elaborate please do so.
>
> 1) Fedora Core 1 + KDE has serious problems.
> 2) Fedora kernel 2.4.22-nptl.2116 (or whatever) has serious problems
> 3) Nvidia Nforce2 drivers are defective
>
> p.s. before anyone starts talking about 'hardware problems', Win2k SP4
> is rock stable on this machine, or as stable as Windows ever gets.  No
> overclocking.

Win2k is not a tool to determine if a PC has HW problems or not.
CPUburn ot the other hand is ( -> http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/ )

Oh, did you you try without nVidia proprietary drivers ?