Re: VMWare and FC1

On Monday 10 November 2003 08:51, Alan Peery wrote:
> Gene C. wrote:
> >Reporting bugs with a Red Hat product for installing a guest under VMware
> > is a bit of wasted time.
>
> It depends--when other people find the bugs listed in bugzilla at
> Redhat, they stop wasting their own time.  So even if Redhat doesn't fix
> the problems, time has been saved for more interesting things.
>
> >While some folks at Red Hat use VMware themselves, they will not spend
> > time trying to fix problems that involve VMware due to its  being
> > closed/proprietary source.
>
> You could also look at this as Redhat failing to install on particular
> "brand of machine" that many people use.   It then falls to the market
> share of "VMware machines" versus Sony (for example), and which one
> deserves more attention when trying to insure that Redhat or Fedora
> works on the largest set of hardware possible with a given level of
> resource.

OK, There is NO intent of any flaming on my part with either you or Red Hat!

That said, I am only trying to provide some advice based on lots of
"discussions" with Red Hat folks on vmware related problems.

While "I" might consider that vmware is simply another form of "hardware", Red
Hat does not.  The vmware virtual hardware does not correspond exactly with
any real hardware (sometimes this may be a bug in vmware and other times it
may not).  Without the proprietary source being available to Red Hat, they
cannot really tell what is going on and do not have the resources.  This is
identical to their position on binary (proprietary) video drivers.

A very few times I have been able to work limited installation problems
(involving vmware) with Red Hat but these are an exception.

The vmware news groups (news://news.vmware.com) seem to be more helpful
(especially from an individual named Petr Vandrovec <petr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)
who may or may not work for vmware ... he is certainly knowledgable although
not a big Red Hat fan.
--
Gene