Re: VMWare and FC1

On Sunday 09 November 2003 11:55, MJang wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed how Fedora core 1 burps a bit with the GUI on
> VMWare?
>
> From what I can tell, it's Anaconda that burps when configuring XF86Config.
> I changed it back to a working configuration (from Fedora 0.94 on VMWare),
> and the GUI starts fine. The discrepancy is under the "Screen" Section,
> with the DefaultDepth.
>
> I don't see any relevant bugs in bugzilla.fedora.us or bugzilla.redhat.com.
> I'll file a bug shortly - unless there's already an update (I realize
> Fedora folks might rather I file it upstream - however, I think at least an
> info entry in bugzilla would help others).

Reporting bugs with a Red Hat product for installing a guest under VMware is a
bit of wasted time.  While some folks at Red Hat use VMware themselves, they
will not spend time trying to fix problems that involve VMware due to its
being closed/proprietary source.  You can search bugzilla for "vmware" and I
believe you will find most (all?) are closed "WONTFIX".  You will be better
off spending time on the VMware newsgroups with these problems.

I have had some success installing guests under VMware:

I run VMware 3.2.0 on a host Linux system (now FC-1) because some of the guest
systems would require extensive changes if I run them under VMware 4.  The
guests run fine.

Now I am talking about a Linux (not Windows XP) host so milage may vary if you
try VMware 3 on Windows.

After a great deal of trial and error installing various versions of RHL and
now FC as guests:

1.  I boot the cdrom but then use "linux askmethod" to select "nfs" install
... easier than fooling with the floppies.

2.  I have not tried installing from actual cdroms since Red Hat went to
multiple cdroms for installs (it has not always works).

3.  I do graphical installs by doing "linux askmethod display=<ip_addr>:0".
While I always point to my host system's ip, this should also work for
pointing to a different hardware systems running Linux/Unix or even another
VMware guest (have not tried it but it should work).

While I currently use nfs installs, I have used a harddisk install and that
works also.  And IIRC, I have mounted all three ISO images as virtual cdroms
to the VMware "machine" and that has worked also.

---

After writing the above, I have found that you need to do the following also:

add "DisallowTCP=false" to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

restart X (I had to reboot to do this).

before runinging vmware, do "xhost +<your_ip>"

Now, depending on your configuration doing the above REDUCES your security ...
these are not things you normally want to do.  However, on an internal
network, I believe the risk is extremely low and accept it ... but then turn
this stuff off when I do not need it.
--
Gene