Re: which way to jump some advice please

On Sunday 09 November 2003 14:38, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Roger Beever wrote:
> >Hi. I'm new to the list so lease forgive me if I missed a post
> >that covers my question. But please point me to it as I have
> >obviously missed it. I'm planning to run a personal web and mail
> >server and the usual email and browsing / desktop. Plus the
> >usual personal office (star office) type functions. Will the
> >fedora project be stable enough or will I have to spend a lot
> >more on the enterprise solution ? (assuming I don't grab each
> >new version as soon as it his the servers of course) Currently
> >running RH 9 so I guess I have a little while to decide which
> >way to jump. Regards Roger
>
> It depends on your own personal needs, and what level of
> guarantee you need.  If you absolutely require long term support
> and can't upgrade with each release every n months, or don't want
> to risk wether the Fedora Legacy projects will be suitable enough
> for your needs or not, then perhaps RHEL is best for your
> purposes.  However if you can upgrade when new releases come out,
> and are willing to accept updates that sometimes will be new
> versions instead of backported security fixes, and other similar
> changes, then perhaps Fedora Core is adequate enough for your
> needs.

I would add to Mike's comments:  I suggest it may also depend on your
capabilities and needs -- if you just want to use it and have little
knowledge about linux systems, go with RHEL ... if you want to run the
"latest and greatest" but sometimes getting bit by being on the leading edge
is not a problem, then go with Fedora Core.
--
Gene