Re: Why two GCCs in FC1??

Mike A. Harris wrote:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Alexander Grekhov wrote:

Still I think it would be less confusing and more logical to release 2.4.x-based FC1 with GCC 3.2.x and move on to kernel 2.6.x and GCC 3.3.x in FC2.

That is not far more logical. That would throw away 6 months of compiler technology development and improvements if not more, and delay them from being widely used by people for another 3-6 months or more. There is no valid good technical reason to do that.

Fedora Core is for shipping new technology, and that is what we plan to do.

Point taken.

So, while your frustration is registered and noted, your solution is not viable, and is not in line with the Fedora Project's stated goals of using new technology.

It's not frustration (yet?), I was just wondering, being unfamiliar with the development issues that you distro builders are facing.

I am a sysadmin, at the moment I maintain eight production Linux servers (among other things) running four different versions of RedHat. Having to work around the quirks of different versions gets old pretty quickly.

I just finished downloading FC1 last night, will play with it this weekend.

"I can't figure out how to compile my kernel" is not a valid reason to throw away perfectly stable working new technology.

As long as it *stable* -- I'm OK with that. I have no problems rebuilding my OpenBSD servers from source.

Regards,

Alexander