Re: X hangs on FC 1 install

Mike A. Harris wrote:

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Mark Heslep wrote:

This appears to be  dual head radeon related problem:

Attempted a clean FC 1 install via NFS. Using a dual head card w/ two LCD panels attached. Install gets through the Anaconda probes for the video card (ATI Fire GL X1), monitor (LCD NEC 1860 ) and USB mouse and then hangs when the Graphical Installer starts X (killing the sync to the monitor). A retry with a 'linux text' install works just fine. Same thing then happens w/ a subsequently running system when starting X using the stock config file. SSH into the box shows the kernel still spinning and X, gdm-binary, greeter still running. The XFree log shows no problems (EEs). Fix: I had the 2nd NEC 1860 attached to the Fire GL during all this and the X log shows probing for it though obviously there was no dual head configuration in the XF86Config file at the install point. I unplugged the 2nd monitor from the Card and all is well; X starts w/ out any trouble.

This problem is specific to the X1, and possibly a few other high
end cards.

I suspected that - just tried the vesa driver on the X1 w/ the same effects - XFree86 hangs w/ both panels attached and runs fine w/ one.

I have an X1, and hope to look into this problem
within the next month. Problem is, this hardware is AGP Pro, so I hope this problem is reproduceable on Itanium, as the only other AGP Pro mobo I have is my main workstation, and I hate hijacking my workstation as a Franken-test-box. ;o)

In the mean time where should I place efforts for a work around? Xfree snapshots? 2.6 kernel? Im using the Intel 7505 chipset which requires agp_try_unsupported=1 on the 2.4.22 kernel and I was curious if the problem was AGP related. Or is it(gasp) ATI custom drivers w/ no Xinerama?