Re: Another Nvidia problem (the rpms)

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:03, Peter Backlund wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm one of the brains behind the rpms in question.
>
> > If you use the NVidia RPMS that have been discussed, it may be possible
> > (likely) that you need to re-install them AFTER removing the Mesa-libGL
> > RPM, but that is a pure guess on my part. In either case, re-install the
> > Mesa-libGLU RPM first before you do anything else.
>
> It seems hw accelerated OpenGL works to some extent, however this screen
> saver blackout issue is new to me. If it can be fixed by removing
> XFree86-Mesa-libGL, I'll add a Conflicts:  XFree86-Mesa-libGL to the
> nvidia-glx rpm. glxgears seems to work without removing that rpm though.

It does appear that XFree86-Mesa-libGL is a conflict.

> Installing with the downloader script on top of the rpms, or installing
> the rpms on top of a script install, is not supported and may go either
> way. It's only supposed to work on a clean system.

I first uninstalled the drivers from Nvidia-installer before installing
your rpms (which I do like, by the way).

I finally figured out my problem with "no preview available" when I had
GLU properly installed.  The permissions on the /dev/nvidia* devices
were wrong!  I have not looked into this issue in detail and do not know
whether this has anything to do with your rpms or whether it's an NVidia
driver issue.  The precise error obtained when I was getting "no
preview" was in the NVidia FAQ, but their suggested solution (editing
/etc/security/console.perm) made a complete pig's breakfast of X on the
system -- I was getting multiple X servers started on boot and colors
were completely off (I have an LCD monitor).  I finally got everything
to work by chmod 0666 on /dev/nvidia* without making any changes to
console.perm.  I suppose I will have to do this every time I reboot.
Since this is a work machine I rarely reboot it, fortunately.

I can't explain why I was having so many configuration problems when it
was not so severe for others.  I did upgrade the Nvidia drivers along
with the distribution.