Re: Another Nvidia problem

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:20, Katherine Holcomb wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 11:45, Michael Anthony Porter wrote:
> > > none of the OpenGL screensavers work.  All fail with the error
> "Xlib: extension
> > > XFree86-DRI missing on display :0.0" (to be clear, this error
> occurred with the Nvidia-installed
> > > drivers as well as with the rpms).  Nvidia explicitly states that
> dri should *not*
> > > be loaded in XF86config and I did not do so for RH 9.0.
> Everything
> > > worked fine under RH 9.0.  What has changed?
> >
> > That's a common problem.  Have you tried doing "rpm -e --nodeps
> XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42"?  The NVIDIA libGL.so files conflict with
> the default XFree86 ones, and if that RPM is installed, the default
> files are found instead of the NVidia provided ones.
> >
> Since two people recommended it, I removed this rpm and reinstalled
> the
> kernel-module and nvidia-glx rpms.  After restarting X, when I tried
> my
> OpenGL screensavers (preview mode), instead of a black screen I got
> "No
> Preview Available."  So I removed Mesa-GLUT as well, reinstalled the
> Nvidia rpms again, and restarted X, all of which made things even
> worse
> because now I get "libglu.so not found."
>
> I can of course reinstall Mesa-GLUT, but something else is wrong with
> my
> configuration.  Any suggestions?

You should not remove the XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-42 RPM. That needs
to stay.

I do not know what the NVidia RPMS that have been referenced here
provide, as I have not used them for Fedora (thru Test 2, Test 3 and now
FC 1).

What I have done is the following, using the standard 4496 NVidia
installer as root from a non-X boot (ie. runlevel 3)

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --add-this-kernel
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2-custom.run

The first line removes the Mesa-libGL RPM as has been discussed.

The second line runs the NVidia installer and gets around the kernel/gcc
version incompatibility issue. It creates the 'custom' version, which
you then run in line 3.

This has worked each and every time that I have done it, which is after
each kernel upgrade and any XFree86 updates.

If you use the NVidia RPMS that have been discussed, it may be possible
(likely) that you need to re-install them AFTER removing the Mesa-libGL
RPM, but that is a pure guess on my part. In either case, re-install the
Mesa-libGLU RPM first before you do anything else.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz