Re: XFS filesystem support in Fedora

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Fabian Arias wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:02, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > Might want to take a look at the work they've been doing over at
> > oss.sgi.com, then...they've been putting XFS into 2.4 for quite some time.
>
> I use XFS in _all_ my production servers and desktops since ages. My
> comment was related to "why use ugly patches now, when we can use a
> vanilla implementation in the next release with 2.6" from the point of
> view of a developer or a maintainer.
> If it were trivial to maintain or if a massive amount of people were
> asking for urgent XFS support, it would became standard install since
> RHL 8.

I don't think that's fair to say.  Since it wasn't included in Linus'
standard kernel, what makes you think RH was going to support it, that
early?

I think our point is that it's no longer that difficult to maintain, and
we're asking for it.

If it's really that big of a deal to the Fedora development team, even
though there's been offers to help, I'll either wait for FC2, or I'll move
my server to a different distribution...that's all.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit