upgrade from test3: no graphical boot and weird fonts

I have upgraded a vanilla FC test3 to 1.0 via the boot CDs and observe the following:

* graphical boot no longer works (worked with test3)
* some of the X11 Xft fonts (like Sans) are weird; they look "squashed" vertically (i.e., are smaller than on test3, with the same fontsize while vertical spacing seems to be the same as before). I removed .fonts-cache* in my homedir, to no avail.

This certainly isn't a show stopper (I found the graphical boot to be somewhat silly anyways and the fonts, well, I can live with) but still I preferred how things worked on test3. Anybody else been seeing this?

--
  Matthias Buelow;  mkb@{mukappabeta.de,informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de}