Newbie Questions

Hey Everyone,

I've never played with Linux before and I thought I'd give it a whirl. I've pretty much decided to build a box and put Linux on it. As I start planning this I have a few questions:

1) Hardware compatibility list. I'm assuming this isn't going to be like windows, i.e. buy a twenty-dollar no-name ethernet card and it's going to include a driver. Where do I find a list of hardware that's supported under Linux? Is there a URL? I want to make sure that as I purchase pieces they're actually going to work with little difficulty.

2) Hardware specs. To be honest, I was a little stunned by the hardware requirements to run Fedora (memory / processor / hard drive space). Obviously I can't pick up an old P166 at a swap meet and expect it to work. What are the reasonable specs for a PC to run Linux? Or is there a URL with this info?

3) One of the things I'd like to do with my Linux box is put it in my Dlink Router's DMZ and run an FTP server on it so I can upload and download to my LAN at home via my DSL connection. Will "Fedora" include everything I need to do this (from a software perspective), i.e. FTP server and firewall (?) or will I need something else.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca