Re: what cd download ? Jargon busting.

Edward Croft wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 09:29, David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Is there a Redhat / Fedora /Linux jargon busting page please?
The tla's that are flowing on this list I guess warrant one.

It might help make a tiny step towards putting Linux closer
to Windoze for the man on the Clapham omnibus.

I just get the feeling that the Linux community take a great
delight in picking abtruse names for things. Great for the in-crowd,
but far less so for anyone approaching Linux, and may just be enough
to put them off for years.

If needed I'll collate and mark up... if you'll help me translate :-)
?? docbook is fashionable isn't it??

regards DaveP

Dave, the names usually refer to the project. Windows does the same
thing, except you don't hear it as much because Windows is closed. I
believe the project name for the next version of Windows is Longhorn.
Personally, I liked Guinness for the name. Don't know what a Severn is.
Maybe instead of Yarrow, it could have been called Pilsner Urquel? Who
knows who comes up with these names. When I first started here,
everything was named after Greek/Roman Gods. At least now we are getting
to more descriptive names as we roll out new systems.

Dave,
Being an aging newbie that has struggled through CP/M, DOS 1-infinity, Polyforth, way too many assembly codes, Fortran, Cobal, C and now Linux I find that it all blurs. I would be in full support of your project. I've been trying to figure out what ISO actually stands for - knowing that it is an Image that's burnable - but whats the O?

My vote - go for it.

John