Re: [1.0] Re: Redhat to Fedora - up2date/RHN

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 16:01, Charles Gregory wrote:
> Thanks, but the issue is not the migration as such, but the ongoing
> mnaintenance. Under the old Red Hat Network, we could have a 'reactive'
> system, where we would be notified of critical patches/updates, and the
> 'trained monkey' would be told to run 'up2date' and everything would be
> handled automatically. The thing that is not clear from the website is
> whether there is anything resembling this mechanism in 'Fedora'. How much
> smarter must our volunteers be to handle updates?

The trained monkey can still run up2date and it will still work ok.  You
will need to worry a bit more than usual in case up2date picks up a big
upgrade that needs human intervention, but that will be 1) rare; and 2)
just as much human intervention as is required by a standard
is-this-going-to-affect-me decision when the "upgrade this rpm RIGHT NOW
before you get hacked" situation happens once every six months or so.

Bottom line: Fedora will use up2date.  If you expect up2date to be run
by a trained monkey, you will have the same amount of issues as if you
cron "yum upgrade".