Re: [1.0] Re: Redhat to Fedora - up2date/RHN

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Timothy John Giese wrote:
> I'm about to make the switch from rh9 to fedora too.
> I can't tell you what I've done (since I haven't done it), but
> I can tell you what I plan on doing in a "monkey trainable"-way.
> 1. I will download the iso images and burn them to CDs
> 2. I will reboot the computer with CD 1 in the drive.
> 3. I will click "next" at all prompts except for the screen that
> asks me if I want to update my current operating system
> (which it should recognize as RH9) or do a fresh install of
> Fedora.  At that particular prompt, I will select "Upgrade"
> and THEN press "next".
> 4. I will press "next" for all prompts after that point.

Thanks, but the issue is not the migration as such, but the ongoing
mnaintenance. Under the old Red Hat Network, we could have a 'reactive'
system, where we would be notified of critical patches/updates, and the
'trained monkey' would be told to run 'up2date' and everything would be
handled automatically. The thing that is not clear from the website is
whether there is anything resembling this mechanism in 'Fedora'. How much
smarter must our volunteers be to handle updates?

- C