Re: Fedora stability

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Mark Haney wrote:

> Okay, kind of a stupid and maybe useless question, but as I"ve been really
> tinkering with (gasp!) SUSE, I'm kind of wondering how stable FC1 really
> is?  I mean I realize there are issues, otherwise this list wouldn't be
> very useful, but how well does it work as a Workstation (not server) as
> compared with any other distros especially RH9?

I can't compare to RH9, but I *can* compare it to SuSE 9.0

Don't switch to SuSE.  Trust me on this one.  Baaad juju.  After seing
what was available, I decided to go with SuSE for my first real exposure
to Linux in 6+ years.  (And I had no experience with a Linux GUI at that
point.)

If you needs are met 100% by what's available on the distro CDs, then SuSE
could work for you.  But adding anything else?  Damn near impossible.
There are some things I *couldn't* get installed under SuSE, that were a
breeze with Fedora.  I'm not the only one wih those problems either.

On the positive side, there are more GUI controls for things.  So if
that's what you're looking for, then maybe it's for you.

Also you can *forget* right now about editing files by hand and expecting
them to stay that way, and work correctly.  The SuSE likes to rewrite
stuff on you without warning.

In short, the problems I had with SuSE 9.0 were great enough that I
abandoned it, even though I paid the $80 for the Professional version.

Using Fedora, I've had a *lot* fewer problems.

Krikket