Re: looking for online howtos/tutorials for newbie developers

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i'm interested in collecting some online tutorials that cover introductory
development using gcc. things like basic gcc, simple options, how libraries
work (dynamic versus static linking). in a more general sense, also, overviews of the entire GNU set of development tools.

I don't know if you will find what you want online.

You might look at a couple of books:

Beginning Linux Programming (3e) by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew (1999: Wrox Press) ISBN 1-861002-97-1

More info at http://www.wrox.com/books/0764544977.shtml, and it is available from Amazon.com at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/479559/ref%3Db%5Fsnpbg%5Fwrox/103-7400452-7270240

and

Professional Linux Programming by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew (2000: Wrox Press) ISBN 1-861003-01-3

I don't think it is in print any more, but Amazon lists it available as used at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1861003013/002-6015042-3848814

On both of these, you can use the "Look Inside" feature to browse the TOC to see if they will fit your needs.

BOF