Re: RH9->Fedora again...

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

> 2) I am about to upgrade my servers to Fedora. Preferably i would like to
> put in
> a Fedora CD or install from ftp and from the menu choose "Upgrade" i.s.o.
> "Install
> a new server". Is that present?

Yes.

> 3) Will this "upgrade" update my system to Fedora using all latest rpms and
> create
> *.rpmnew, *.rpmsave files as before so i can easily update my config files
> to the
> newer formats?

Yes. Post-install needs depend on which previous Redhat system you used.
From RH 9 all should behave quite well.

> 4) Would the upgrade also automatically install new packages that are
> present in
> Fedora server, but which were not present in Redhat 9? (which would be
> undesired
> behaviour or there should be dependencies btw).

Needed packages will be installed due to resolving dependencies.

> 5) Will it leave in tact packages on my system which are not part of the
> Fedora
> project (i expect so)?

If there are no conflicts. To do a full backup before running such an
upgrade is always wise.

> 6) If i choose "Upgrade" will after the upgrade up2date work as normal but
> with the
> new Fedora repositories? And is the GPG Key automatically updated to work
> with
> Fedora as well? I remember some posts about this.

up2date on Fedora Core no longer needs a valid account on RHN. Importing
key(s) from /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-1/ will be needed.

> 7) Is there some moderated control on how new rpms are distributed via
> u2date. Are
> they tested thoroughly before being offered to the community. Is there some
> control
> mechanism in place for this (like for RH i expected the rpms to be tested)?

Update packages are tested and come out for fixing bugs. See
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-announce-list

> Thanks a lot!

Alexander

--