Re: Creating a local apt repository?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Greg Trounson wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Greg Trounson wrote:
> >
> >>Gidday,
> >>
> >>Not strictly Fedora-centric, but if I can get it working under RH9, I
> >>plan to deploy it to my Fedora machines.
> >>
> >>Since I'm on a dial-up connection, I have copied the complete set of RH9
> >>rpms into one directory on my machine in an attempt at creating a local
> >>mirror for apt.
> >>
> >>I have run
> >>"genbasedir --flat --bloat --bz2only --partial --progress
> >>/mainarchive/redhat9 localrpms"
> >>on this directory, and the appropriate pkglist.localrpms.bz2 etc have
> >>been created in /mainarchive/redhat9/base.
> >>I have added
> >>"rpm file:/apt/ /mainarchive/redhat9 localrpms"
> >
> >             ^^^^^
> >
> > If the directory is /mainarchive/redhat9 then that's what you have to use
> > as the path, eg "rpm file:/mainarchive redhat9 localrpms" is what you
> > should use for that - you can't invent parts of the path and have apt find
> > whatever you intended :)
> >

> Thanks, using that syntax got it working!
>
> Apt still has gnumeric, evolution and about 50 other essential programs
> marked as 'broken' and wants to remove them before doing anything.
>
> I was hoping that pointing apt to a local archive, showing that those
> programs *are* in fact okay to have installed, would have fixed it.

No, that's got nothing to do with apt considering something broken: there
are some missing dependencies on your system and apt, by it's design,
requires 100% coherency of the package database.

Have you tried "apt-get -f install" to fix the situation? And if that's
the "wants to remove 50 packages" thing you should look at the output of
"apt-get -o debug:pkgproblemresolver=1 -f install" to see *why* it wants
to remove those packages and then resolve that issue one way or another.
If you can't figure it out, mail the output here or to me personally and
I'll have a look at what it's about.

Oh and btw - one potential cause is that you're using apt-0.5.15cnc4 on
RH9 which has a known problem of treating Epochs differently than rpm on
RH9, can be worked around by adding "--promoteepoch" to RPM::Options
configuration item or by upgrading to apt-0.5.15cnc5.

	- Panu -