Re: Help customising Fedora for my grandfather.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:34:05 +0000, Jon Atkinson wrote:
> Thanks (I ramble a little), and if anyone has any other ideas/advice in
> this area it would be much appreciated.

You've probably taken this into consideration, but if not,
spend some time finding the best combinations of screen
resolution and font size.

Gnome has a font preferences setting (Hat->preferences->font).
Mozilla also has font settings.  In Mozilla, if the default font is
too small for a particular site, press Ctl-+  (control plus) to
increase the font size.  My aging eyes love this feature.

You can also switch the X screen resolution on the fly by pressing
ctl-alt-plus and ctl-alt-minus.

I played around with the screenreader part of the Assistive
Technology Support but it's not ready for prime time (IMHO).  I
could repeatably hang the X server when pressing certain screenreader
keys in a Mozilla window.  I didn't try the other ATS features.

That's my two cents.  Best of luck to you and grandpa.

[Now if someone can tell me how to set the mousewheel default to
scroll only one line in apps like Pan I'd be a happy man.]

--Jack