Re: Radeon 9700 Overheating???

Jess Anderson wrote:

Elton Woo:

Matt Brei:

Anyone having what seems to be a heat problem with a 9700 or
any other newer radeon that uses the fglrx driver from ATI for
that matter. []

Doesn't this video card come with an onboard fan? Have you
tried running it with the case open just to make sure that the
fan *is* indeed working?

A couple weeks ago my main machine started acting funny (it's
running RH 7.2, not Fedora -- I have FC1 on my laptop, though).
The video card was a 128 MB Radeon 8500 LE, which has a fan on
the GPU. The fan was hosed (turning but way too slowly).

The very minute I noticed the fan was turning *too* slowly, I would
have IMMEDIATLY shut off the machine. Especially if I had a 128 Mb
video card in my machine instead of my cheapo (and reliable) 32 Mb
nVidia card!

.... ah! *Experience* ...it can be costly, but hopefully one learns!
<*tsk*!> <*tsk*!> <*tsk*!>

Elton ;-)

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.