Re: Help customising Fedora for my grandfather.

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 11:29, Jon Atkinson wrote:
> He's being automatically logged in already (I figures users and groups
> would just add another layer of complexity he doesn't need to be
> concerned with). And the reason he needs to log out is that the Shutdown
> command is in the log-out dialogue (though I was considering puttin a
> launcher on the desktop 'sudo init 0' or suchlike).

Drag the logout icon to the desktop?  There may be a way to limit the
options on the logout dialog.  If it does exist its probably only
editable with gconf-editor.  (For example, remote and flexi logins have
the reboot and shutdown options removed from the logout dialog.)

Also, you may be able to run /sbin/halt (or shutdown -h now) as a normal
user.  It would be preferable to use the GNOME logout, I think.

> 2) Is there any way to switch item selection in nautilus to
> single-click?

main menu -> Preferences -> File Management

Top of the Behavior tab is single or double click to active items.

> 3) He's accessing the internet with a 56K modem, which is ideal for
> his needs. Can anyone suggest a dialer application which is nice and
> simple for him to use.

right-click a panel -> Add to Panel submenu -> Internet -> Modem Lights

See if that is usable.  I've seen some people complain that its flaky.
I don't have any modems so I'm not sure.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/