Re: Installing Fedora Outside First 4 GB

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 12:03, Holden McGroin wrote:
> A friend told me that it wasn't possible to install Linux outside of the
> first 4 Gb on the disk.

Of course its possible.  Trivial if this is a recent computer.  And
possibly irrelevant when using GRUB to boot.  Your friend is thinking of
a BIOS limitation which has nothing to do with Linux.  We're talking
about computers built around 1996 or earlier.

Back then you had to place the system kernel (any system) within the
first 4 GB of the disk.  Windows NT got around the problem by
restricting the system partition (e.g. C:) to 4 GB.  Windows 9x simply
complained that the system may not boot once installed.  Linux and UNIX
systems got around the problem by placing all the boot related files in
a 100 MB or less /boot partition within the first 4 GB of the boot disk.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/