Re: Install hang

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 06:45, Jay Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 11:49:38PM -0500, C. Linus Hicks wrote:

> > > Use 'alias parport_lowlevel off' in /etc/modules.conf?
> > >
> > > Tim.
> > > */
> >
> > I'm getting the problem with the installer kernel, and I don't see how
> > what you are suggesting is possible. Can you be more specific?
>
> You can attempt an installation in "expert mode".  To do this, start the
> installer, and at the boot prompt (the first screen which comes up when you
> boot from media), enter "linux expert"
>
> This will tell the installer program to not load any modules and instead
> defer to the user to identify which modules to load.  The drawback is that
> you have to know which modules you are going to need to complete the
> installation (SCSI drives, network drivers if you are performing a network
> installation, etc.)
>
> - jkt

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but your description of how
expert mode works doesn't match my experience of it. I have watched the
console output having given "linux expert" and a lot of modules got
loaded without any interaction from me. Things like raid0.o raid1.o
xor.o raid5.o msdos.o jbd.o ext3.o reiserfs.o jfs.o lvm-mod.o - all of
these are things that don't have multiple choices.

Things like SCSI drivers where you have to match the driver to the
device, either a noprobe or expert mode will ask you to identify the
specific driver you want loaded rather than trying to figure it out for
you.

The parport and parport_pc drivers are not a case where there are
different ones for different hardware, so there's no need to query the
user - there's only one. My experience has been that it gets loaded
without any interaction, no matter what mode I specify.
--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@xxxxxxxxx>