Re: Newbie: How to upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora from hard disk

On Friday 19 December 2003 23:37, Ghod wrote:

> >>hope it never crashes.. since you would
> >>never be able to install ANYTHING back on it.
> >
> >If you're referring to me, the laptop has been running Linux for 2 years.
> >It does "crash" or "hang" occasionally --

> OR.. your not doing an UPGRADE.. but rebuilding a kernel. an upgrade
> (using the menus) does NOT give you that option to keep existing
> instanaces of linux and most newb's will make that mistake.

(1) If you upgrade (which I did from RH-9)
old kernels _are_ kept, and grub.conf is updated to include the new kernel.
Therefore you _do_ have the option of running old kernels.
[As an illustration, the Fedora kernel did not run
on my SCSI-only desktop,
but I was able to boot from an old kernel.]

(2) You are using a deprecated boot-loader, LILO,
so you are not in a position to say what happens
if you follow the official advice to use grub.

(3) You said "I hope your system doesn't crash",
and I pointed out that it does occasionally hang,
without any disastrous effect.

> I'm not questioning YOUR ability to work with linux.. this WAS a newb
> question and I gave newb advice.

It was bad advice.
I suggest that in future you are not so quick to give dogmatic advice.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366