Re: Newbie: How to upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora from hard disk

Andy Green wrote:

On Friday 19 December 2003 18:42, Ghod wrote:

I've just seen too many LI..................

use GRUB, you'll never see it again :-)

why lilo works just fine. and I'm sure grub has it's pros and cons as well.
since I'm old school I'll just stick with lilo

I was offering REAL advice for a NEWBIE.. make a CD copy of the ISO so
you have a BACKUP media in case of problems.

In itself that is good advice, since you will need to boot from CD in case of
install disaster.  Something else I have done is formatted an old 4GB HDD
with ext3 and copied the ISOs to there, using it as a kind of thick DVD to
install from.

that is my point, if you want to run them down the short-cut path.. so
be it.

As I explained at length, if I have important data I swap out the HDD.

not everyone has spare HD's laying around. some might.. of course a tape drive or DVD or even CD could be used to save/store/protect important data as well. (I use all the above)

it just means you like short-cuts for newbs too.

Redhat put HDD installs in, it exists, people will use it.  I used it, it
worked fine.  That doesn't mean it is failproof, my experience is one more
straw in the wind.  Since I have other machines I could recover from an
install failure.  If you only have one machine then paranoia is a good
setting as you suggest.

and installing Linux on a machine without CD-ROM or Floppy.. now THAT
must have been a real jewel.. hope it never crashes.. since you would
never be able to install ANYTHING back on it.

Not sure where that came from, but my current work is with an Embedded Fedora
which boots off a NBD device via PXE -- this motherboard has NO local storage
other than the BIOS itself.  Yet I can do what I like with its filesystem
since its a file on an NBD server.  More things on Heaven and Earth.

this is way past newb stuff. yea you can have a diskless workstation sure. and use bootp and 100 other things too, but this is way off the original topic. This also says you have a server and working knowledge of linux to go to that extreme.. if I remember correctly this all started as a newbie asking about upgrading from a HD.. and I just said I hoped he was making CD images! :)