Re: redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 20:35, John McBride wrote:
> You, a person who makes a redundant comment, then resorts to
> name-calling while closing things out, yeah that makes a lot of sense!

---
- I fail to see anywhere where I called you names. I did however,
suggest that you were whining.

- How to ask questions the smart way...

There is somewhat an implied contract when asking questions to a user
supported forum of open source software. There is a lot of wisdom to be
gleaned from reading the page linked.

Sometimes people just expect everything to be done the windows way and
then, they want it to be free, supported for free, and then think that
because they like it way windows does it, that someone should change
things. Good thought - doesn't fly here. You participate by using the
software, helping to support others, contributing code, helping write
documentation, etc.

If you think your commentary about how xfree86 should exit with errors,
you should probably take it over to the development list at xfree86.
Personally, I like the idea of getting the errors written to screen
(standard out - error out) and to /var/log/xfree.log.0 and think it is
light years better than getting errors in Windows that may not be
properly reported or logged. One thing that I know for sure, that there
have been a lot of programming hours into the xfree86 system and it is
entirely portable on many different processors and operating systems and
if they considered your idea a priority, it would have been included.

Moreover, I suggested that you look into kickstart which seems to be far
more suitable for the 'automated' install and can invoke the x
configuration setup at the right time. Good thing your mind wasn't
closed to that suggestion.

Lastly - despite the appearance of a text based console - which
apparently you want to avoid like the plague - it is no more difficult
nor time consuming to actually run 'redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig'
than it is to click your way through a 'new hardware found' setup on
Windows. Unfortunately, plug and play doesn't work as well on Linux as
it does on Windows these days - which still doesn't work perfectly
either but hey - it's getting better.

I'm not looking to pick a fight with you - nor insult you. The whining
comment was fair considering what I perceive to be your arrogance to
think that you somehow had earned the right to get on this list and
announce how you think things should be when I have never seen you help
anyone, write any support documents, or participate in any meaningful
way.

Craig