Re: DHCP client does not work in Fedora

I have found the answer at
http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/guestos_redhat90.html.
The card wrongly reports that the link is down. I tried the work around
published in the link above and my card now gets an IP address.
The relevant portion from the link is pasted below:

- - - - - - -
Getting a DHCP Address in a Red Hat Linux 9.0 Virtual Machine
When a Red Hat Linux 9.0 guest operating system tries to get a DHCP address,
the attempt may fail with an error message that states the link is down. On
ESX Server, this happens only if you are using the vlance driver for your
network connection.
To work around this problem, become root (su -) and use a text editor to
edit the following files in the guest operating system. If only one of these
files exist, make the change for that file only.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[n]
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth[n]
In both cases, [n] is the number of the Ethernet adapter - for example,
eth0.
Add the following section to each of these two files:
check_link_down () {
return 1;
}
Then run the command ifup eth[n] (where [n] is the number of the Ethernet
adapter) or restart the guest operating system.

As usual, I spent several days looking for the answer without success. The
minute I asked on a newsgroup, the answer pops up. Hopefully this can help
someone else with a similar problem.

Ben Guevremont