Re: Tar errors

On Monday 15 Dec 2003 10:37 am, Ronald Hahm wrote:
> Has anyone run into the following when using the tar command?
>
> tar: <filename> file changed as we read it
>
> I noticed this error on newer versions of the kernel in RedHat 9.  I ended
> up moving back to the original kernel in RedHat 9.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice as to what I need to do?  Will running the
> newest version of the kernel through the up2date service fix this problem?

The only reason you've never seen this before is just conincidence. It isn't a
bug or anything, it's just tar telling you that as it was tarring the file
up, the contents of it changed. This is pretty common when tarring log files.
It isn't a problem as such, it just means that the version of the file in your
tar won't match the current version of that file.

There's nothing you can do to the kernel to stop this.

Cheers,

Tim