Re: x86-64 and FC1

On Friday 12 December 2003 12:44 pm, Mark Lane wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 10:47, Pete wrote:
> > >
> > > Well I wouldn't use the Promise (Promise Controllers suck). The VIA
> > > SATA that is in the chipset is much better. Though you probably won't
> > > be able to installed to it. Best bet is to install on a IDE drive and
> > > then compile a 2.6 Kernel. It seems to have better support for the via
> > > chipset though the drivers now have been backported to 2.4.23.
> >
> > Promise chip lives on the MB, so I can't avoid it. I've been using the
> > controller pretty steadily for about a month (combo 32bit Win and 64bit
> > Mandrake) without issue though despite how much everyone seems to hate
> > Promise. I'd like to switch to fedora as I'm not so infatuated with the
> > current x86-64 Mandrake (first time using drake), and I really like my FC
> > on my laptop. What I really want is a 64 bit Slack distro, but alas,
> > that's not gonna happen tomorrow, so I'll try this route. I've got time
> > to play, and new hardware to play with, so I'm gonna play.
>
> The K8V has 4 SATA Ports. 2 Via and 2 Promise. Yes the promise is
> onboard and works but so it the via sata controller. The VIA is a better
> controller and has better kernel support. The Promise drivers suck.

It does? I was unaware of this. Apparently there are though, I just never
noticed (just glanced at lspci and saw it). If that's the case, can I use the
via headers (which I assume are the two I am not using) with the Via driver
in a non RAID setup (plain old IDE)? To be honest, I would like to leave it
the way it is now though if I can, cause it's all nice and tucked away and I
would have to move it. But, some hints on the VIA stuff would be nice (which
driver specifically, and how it works in plain old mode). Thanks.