Re: Anybody have any luck installing FC1 on a 440GX box

If the box has IDE drives as well you could install on IDE first then add the SCSI controller after the fix is in place.
and if needed reinstall the OS on a SCSI drive then.(using the functional IDE to load it)

that is if all else fails.

or just throw a 4G or so spare IDE in the machine and do the above ...