RE: raid controller recommendation

The most recent cards from Promise are true hardware RAID; however, they
cost almost as much as the 3ware cards. The older 3ware cards (6xxx series)
are Firmware RAID, where the card's CPU (as opposed to an ASIC) does the
parity math, but it's still fairly slow. The older Promise cards (the first
Supertrak series, I believe) worked this way, as well as some other
manufacturers. I'm not aware of any RAID 5 cards that actually use the
system's CPU for parity computation, and I've researched most of them.

If you're doing RAID 0, 1 or 10, it's generally not too much of an issue;
it's only when you're doing parity checking (RAID 3, 5, etc) when it comes
into play. I'd start out with one of the $20 cards and see how you do.
Alternatively, if you don't need RAID 3 or 5, and you want a true hardware
solution, you could buy one of the 3ware 5xxx or Diskswitch series cards off
eBay for under $50, although these may be limited to drives of 133GB or
less - you'll need to do a little research.

Steve