Re: raid controller recommendation

On Thursday 11 December 2003 17:35, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> 'more' is not the word ;-), it's _much more_
>
> > raid isn't cheap.  Promise and BCM aren't true hardware raid last
> > time I checked, you're still using your own CPU to calculate raid
> > operations.  Especially harmfull when doing raid 5.
>
> Yes, they aren't RAID boards. But Linux_soft_raid is cheaper, more
> secure and flexible and not slower.
> I don't see any case where is the best a low end RAID board than
> Linux_soft_raid.

For 2 drive stuff, sure maybe.  But we deal with 4/8/12/16 drive
chassis, all on 3ware stuff.  I don't think software raid can handle
those situations.  Especially not with remote web configurations,
alerts (included, not build your own), etc...

Software raid has it's place, and it's cheap, but the Original Poster
asked for a hardware solution.  The only solution I would consider is a
3ware solution.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: