Re: Re: Re: how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

Preston Crawford  said:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:33, William Hooper wrote:
>> Preston Crawford  said:

Sigh, again Apache is included.  Think beyond the box.

MySQL you can download from Red Hat, not some "RPM somewhere".

>> > and won't be supported in the future (as far as I know).
>>
>> One year, same as RHL used to be.
>>
>> "Includes one year of Red Hat Network updates"
>> http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/
>
> So the cost of running this is at least $100 per year. Sorry. SuSE (for
> now) charges $80 per Pro distro with free updates. I would go back to
> SuSE before I'd pay $100 a year for updates and half supported server
> software.

So, it seems you *don't* want to pay to support Red Hat.  That's fine,
that is what Fedora is for.  You just need to get that through your head
rather than just coming up with excuses about why you don't want to pay
them.

>> > So
>> > why would I buy it?
>>
>> Because you want to support Red Hat financially.  That is the "middle
>> step".  Otherwise, support Fedora by testing the beta releases.
>
> Oh please. That's how you see it, huh? Either pay $100 per year for your
> OS or beta test their software?

You want Fedora to be stable, but you just expect it to be magically that
way?  Let me guess, you are one of those people that keep posting things
saying "why wasn't this fixed in the beta before the release" when you
didn't even bother to download the beta.

> Sorry. I'll go to another distro before
> I do that.

It's called a "community based" distro.  If you don't like that, Fedora
isn't for you.

> Maybe I'll go back to RH9 and pay Progeny $60 per year for
> updates. Or maybe I'll go back to SuSE. Either route's a better deal
> than that.

There must be something that made you switch.  No one is holding a gun to
your head saying you have to use one distro or another.

> Red Hat isn't a charity.

I agree.

> If they want my money they're going
> to have to offer me a better deal than a $100 a year Red Hat tax.

If you aren't willing to pay it, then you aren't in their market.  Use
Fedora and quit complaining about how much RHEL costs.

> At
> least with Microsoft the tax man only comes calling every 5 years when
> the EOL a product.

Trolling won't help.

> I really like Fedora and I support Red Hat and its decision fully, but I
> won't use their software if Fedora becomes beta testing playground and
> there isn't any step between that and a $100 a year tax. Sorry.

You need to grasp the concept between a beta and a release.  The community
needs to test the FC beta's so that the release is a better distro.  If
you want a commercially tested and supported distro you need to pay
someone else to do this testing.

Calling it "a tax" is also trolling.  As Progeny has shown, no one forces
you to go to Red Hat for updates.  If you don't want Red Hat's support,
don't buy it.  But you need to stop complaining about wanting support like
it for free.

--
William Hooper