Re: Re: Re: how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:33, William Hooper wrote:
> Preston Crawford  said:

On the box (I was in Best Buy looking at this the other day) it says
specifically the server utils or something to that effect aren't
supported. Just because I can download an RPM somewhere doesn't mean
it's supported. Fedora comes with MySQL and Apache and rudimentary
utilities to start them up (and in the case of Apache manage them).

> > and won't be supported in the future (as far as I know).
>
> One year, same as RHL used to be.
>
> "Includes one year of Red Hat Network updates"
> http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/

So the cost of running this is at least $100 per year. Sorry. SuSE (for
now) charges $80 per Pro distro with free updates. I would go back to
SuSE before I'd pay $100 a year for updates and half supported server
software.

> > So
> > why would I buy it?
>
> Because you want to support Red Hat financially.  That is the "middle
> step".  Otherwise, support Fedora by testing the beta releases.

Oh please. That's how you see it, huh? Either pay $100 per year for your
OS or beta test their software? Sorry. I'll go to another distro before
I do that. Maybe I'll go back to RH9 and pay Progeny $60 per year for
updates. Or maybe I'll go back to SuSE. Either route's a better deal
than that. Red Hat isn't a charity. If they want my money they're going
to have to offer me a better deal than a $100 a year Red Hat tax. At
least with Microsoft the tax man only comes calling every 5 years when
the EOL a product.

I really like Fedora and I support Red Hat and its decision fully, but I
won't use their software if Fedora becomes beta testing playground and
there isn't any step between that and a $100 a year tax. Sorry.

Preston