Re: Re: Re: how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 19:12, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> Cost of software as a ratio against hardware matters.  I recently
> assembled a 'worthy' machine for about $300.  Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux ES Basic Edition with Management Service costs $222.50/year
> for 1 system which is a mismatch in my mind.

I would call that a mismatch.

> There are reals costs to RH and others so I know that they must
> charge something.  One real cost is bandwidth another is simply
> the book keeping to cash a $20.00 check.
>
> This brave new world demands some inventive solutions where cost
> of software/hardware-cost results in a number that can stay at or
> below 10%.

I agree that there are costs. I'm willing to buy Fedora updates for
Fedora or legacy upgrades. Just as I was willing to pay SuSE for every
distro they pumped out and Red Hat before them for every version they
pumped out. But I absolutely will not be forced to pay $100+ per year
for my loan desktop when there are alternatives. Hell, Sun X86 is
probably cheaper than that. And there's always FreeBSD, Gentoo, etc.

Preston