Re: Fedora Core 1 on an ASUS A7V600 motherboard

Zach Wilkinson wrote :

> > - 3Com Gigabit Ethernet : Needs a driver download from asus.com, for a
> > source based kernel module named 3c2000.o which seems to work (compiels
> > fine against FC1's kernel-source, loads, chip gets detected, haven't
> > actually tested the interface yet). Does anyone know if this may get
> > included into the mainstream kernel or patched into the Fedora one? The
> > module seems to be released under the GNU GPL :
> >
> > $ grep LICENSE *
> > skge.c: * MODULE_LICENSE was introduced in 2.4.10 */
> > skge.c:MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
>
> Yep; I had to go to 2.6 with sk98lin to get it working.

Well, sk98lin seems to also be in 2.4, so the Gigabit Ethernet might not be
a problem at all in the end.

> > - Integrated VIA Serial ATA : I've read here and there that there is a
> > SATA patch for 2.4 somewhere (included in 2.4.22-ac4 it seems) which
> > provides a sata_via.o module. Certainly what I need, but what is the
> > easiest and cleanest way to get it in? Is there a patch against the
> > Fedora kernel floating around? As I'd really prefer that...
>
> Haven't tried it but shows up in kernel messages.

Very good to know. I'd still be interested in feedback concerning the
stability of that SATA chipset with the current kernels, as I'd be
considering moving the system to SATA drives and keeping ATA133 for
additional storage.
Has anyone tried VIA SATA? And is the RAID feature actually solid and worth
trying (if it works)?

> > - On board ATA133 ports : I'm unable to boot from drives connected to
> > those regular IDE ports, I currently have to boot from a floppy, and
> > can't get GRUB into the MBR it seems [...]
>
> Strange.  I didn't have any such problems.  Fedora Install worked as
> usual.

I'll maybe try to reset the BIOS to its defaults just in case. I'll need to
reinstall the system anyway, so I'll also see after that if anything
changes.

Thanks,
Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
Load : 0.21 0.43 0.77