Re: RHEL Desktop

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 08:34, William Hooper wrote:
> Preston Crawford  said:
> > That's why I went with Fedora instead of buying this. I'd love to
> > continue to support OSS with my dollars, but not if I'm going to be told
> > I can't run Samba or MySQL or Apache for development on my box.
>
> Needless FUD.  If you read the product descriptions you will find that all
> RHEL versions include Samba and Apache.
>
> Please read the archives of the Taroon list before launching any more FUD.
>  There you will find that MySQL is also provided, just not supported.

I'm not trying to spread FUD. I just took examples out of the top of my
head. I have no idea what differentiates a "server" version of linux
from a "desktop". Not to mention "enterprise" from regular. My point was
simply to state that some of us have a need for a multi-purpose
desktop/server Linux distro. I used to buy SuSE to fill this need.
Bought their distro 4 times. I quit buying them when Novell bought them
because I didn't want to be stuck behind the 8-ball when they decided to
make an arbitrary decision that SuSE server is to be used for server
stuff and SuSE desktop is to be used for desktop stuff when the software
would all just work in the previous $80 box set that it used to work in
just fine. So I decided to go with a distribution free of licensing.
Fedora. That's my choice.

Preston