Re: Fwd: Undeliverable mail

On Dec  8, 2003, "ART KAGEL, BLOOMBERG/ 65E 55TH" <KAGEL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you have 10 drives or say 20GB each for 200GB RAID5 will use 20%
> for parity (assuming you set it up as two 5 drive arrays) so you
> will have 160GB of storage.

And why would you set it up as two 5-drive arrays, instead of as a
single 10-disk array, if the main point of RAID5 over is RAID10 is to
maximize storage at the expense of significant performance degradation
for writes and the risk of array corruption that you have described in
your posting.

Personally, if I wanted something that wouldn't go down, I wouldn't
trust RAID10 much more than RAID5; I'd go with RAID15, i.e., RAID1
pairs that together create a RAID5 array.  With RAID10, if you're
unlucky enough that two disks fail at the same time (which is one of
the main reasons to avoid RAID5 in your argument) and they happen to
form a RAID1 pair, you lose everything.  Sure, the probability that,
given the failure of two disks, they're the disks in a single RAID1
set, is pretty small, but it's still not negligible.  And, guess what:
it's exactly at the time of recovery of the lost disk that the other
disk of the pair will be under the most stress, and thus more likely
to fail.

With RAID15, you'd have to lose two complete pairs of disks to lose
data.

But it's all about tradeoffs.  It's certainly important to describe
the risks of any of the solutions, and you do have a good case against
RAID5.  But any hard-and-fast rules in this subject is bound to be
wrong for certain scenarios.  People have to be aware of the risks
and, together with their budget and performance requirements, select
what seems to be the best trade off for them.