Re: Running RAID in a Fedora System

At 05:58 PM 12/7/2003, Hans wrote:
.
At first you must show that your RAID contoller ist supportet by Fedora.

At 06:28 PM 12/7/2003, Seth wrote:

You don't mention what adaptec controller you have??

This is an Adaptec AAA-133U2, apparently part of Adaptec's "Array 1000" family.

--*-- Anyone see any issues with this controller and Fedora support?

--*-- It sounds like the general consensus is that, with five disks, I should use RAID 0/1 with a hot spare -- provided I can live without 60% of my disk space. If not, use RAID 5. Everyone agree?

--*-- In any case, I'm hearing that I shouldn't have to worry at all about recovery. The array will simply chug along with a failed disk until I replace it. And when I do, the replacement disk will assume its proper role without much help from me (or special software) on boot-up. Am I oversimplifying?

Can anyone point me to a basic RAID monitoring / diagnostic tool that would support this controller on Fedora? This is a single, highly-visible server -- and my main interest is in actually using (not administering) this machine -- so nothing fancy or complicated is needed.

Thanks again,
Allan