Re: Using Lexmark X6170 with FC1

On 07/12/2003 12:53 J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote

James Drabb wrote:

Wow!  Your going to give up on Linux because of one poorly made,
proprietary printer?

For people who don't know anything about software freedom, this is the only
choice available to them.  This is the trap of stressing practical ends over
software freedom--when the software isn't as practical as proprietary
alternatives, people have no reason to reject the proprietary alternative.

This is also why we should teach newcomers about software freedom, not just
the cool practical stuff we get by running GNU/Linux and free software on
top of that.

I assume your argument is correct, because I don't actually know what you're talking about.  :-)

My whole reason for experimenting with Linux is to find an alternative to Microsoft products.  That was why I used OS/2 for several years before IBM effectively killed it.