Re: problem with mppe after kernel upgrade

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:11:07 -0600, Lisa Durham wrote:

> Last week before I upgraded the kernel I followed the directions on
> http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora.phtml  and was able to
> connect to my company's VPN.
>
> After upgrading the kernel (using up2date) this didn't work, so I went
> back to the site and tried to follow the directions again, but when I
> tried to install the kernel module for 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl I get a
> 'segmentation fault'.

When it comes to kernel modules, I find it easier to just uninstall the
module before upgrading the kernel, then reinstall the module again,
making sure you have (or rebuild) one that matches the new kernel.

The rpm "freeze" may have been as a result of the module being active at
the time. You should try to unload it (as root) with ...

/sbin/rmmod ppp-compress-18

... first, then once you follow Daniel's suggestion "rm -f
/var/lib/rpm/__db*", rpm -e the old module and install the new one. You
may have to re-run the configurator pptpconfig.

As a side note, if you haven't already uninstalled the old kernel, you
might as well do it now (unless you plan on downgrading due to
compatability issues). If you do:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

You'll see a list of all the old (and new) kernel RPMs. There should only
be one RPM do remove, since the new kernel-source, and kernel-docs should
have replaced the old ones already.