Re: mysql bug

Am Sa, den 06.12.2003 schrieb Scott Kindley um 23:46:
> Pardon the question.
>
> After searching for the reason why mysqld gives this error:
>
> "Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon."
>
> only after the mysql root password is specified I found this bug on
> bugzilla #108779.
>
> Bug status is closed with the resolution reading RAWHIDE.
>
> That doesn't tell me much. Ok I know the bug was fixed...and I know it's
> in RAWHIDE but why hasn't this been fixed in an update for Fedora and
> released so that yum update will correct the problem?
>
> In the meantime I tried some of the examples listed in that bug report
> and they did not work. What I did find that works is this:
>
> Change:
>
> if [ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`" ]; then
>
> to:
>
> if [ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping -u 2> /dev/null`" ]; then
>
> on lines 42 and 48 (I think it was lines 42 and 48).
>
> I found that if I type:
>
> mysql -u root -p
>
> and once logged in with my password type:
>
> SELECT user, host, password FROM mysql.user;
>
> I see that there is a user with no name and no password already there
> besides the root user.
>
> mysql> SELECT user, host, password FROM mysql.user;
> +------+-----------------+------------------+
> | user | host            | password         |
> +------+-----------------+------------------+
> | root | localhost       | 91d5dek93805l97f |
> | root | dev.local.lan	 | 91d5dek93805l97f |
> |      | localhost       |                  |
> |      | dev.local.lan   |                  |
> +------+-----------------+------------------+
> 4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> That is why I can use the "-u" in the modifications above without
> specifying a mysql username (I think).
>
> So did anyone else experience this? And is my workaround a good idea or
> not?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

I don't like such a solution by adding an "unnamed" user with no
password to the mysql user database. Looks very ugly and is no good
style.
Even it is not neccessary. The simplest fix is to modify the line in the
init script where mysqladmin is called with the ping command to:

mysqladmin -u DUMMY_USER ping

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany