Re: k3b, cdrecord and Fedora : BAD VERSION : Error message

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:07:11 +0000, Jim Radford wrote:

> On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 1:45 am, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > > I was getting a cdrecord error 255 using k3b, so I brought down one of my
> > > backups of cdrecord, this version
> > >
> > > [root@localhost bin]# cdrecord --version
> > > Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.0.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002
> > > Jrg Schilling
> > >
> > > And everything works fine.  The Fedora version was
> > >
> > > [root@localhost root]# cdrecord --version
> > > Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003
> > > Jrg Schilling
> > >
> > > Fedora has an experimental version, which does not work.   I kept getting
> > > a cdrecord error 255 and a buffer underrun error.  This should be fixed
> > > quickly, since cdrecord is used by everything.  I have posted a number of
> > > messages on various sites asking about this.  I found out why.
>
> I too am getting this error on both my machines running FC1. I'm not really
> sure about how to cure it - any advice?
>
> > What are the steps to reproduce the error?
>
> I get it whenever I try to burn a CD.

Since I can't reproduce it with cdrecord 2.01-0.a19.2 and k3b 0.10.2 from
http://fedora.us, I conclude it is not a general problem, but could be
specific to some CD-writer drivers in cdrecord.

You could query bugzilla.redhat.com on whether a problem with cdrecord has
been reported already. You could also try whether cdrecord itself works
for you when burning a CD at the command line. That would help in finding
out whether it's a problem in cdrecord or a problem between k3b and
cdrecord.

> > What version of k3b?
>
> The one that I installed using synaptic:
>
> 1:0.10.3-1.xcyb.8.fc1

Side-note: the increase to Epoch 1 was not necessary. Be prepared that
whenever there'll be an official k3b in Fedora Extras, that you may need
to remove this package manually.