Re: FC1, 2.6 kernel and LVM2

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 03:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   from the perspective of someone who hasn't tried this yet, i'd
> like to configure a system incorporating:
>
>   - FC1
>   - 2.6 kernel
>   - LVM2 + device mapper

Rawhide is starting to get bits for this...  it's one of the many things
I've been working on this week.  Hopefully after the weekend, the big
bits should at least work (tools + mkinitrd + rc.sysinit) so I can do
installs to LVM under 2.6

>   as i read it, the proper sequence would be:
>
>   1) install FC1, laying out my drive using LVM1
>   2) upgrade to 2.6 kernel
>   3) install device mapper + LVM2
>   4) use new "vgconvert" utility to convert LVM1 LVs to LVM2
>      format

You don't have to convert formats.  In fact, if you want the chance to
continue running 2.4, I'd leave them in the old metadata format.  Also,
root on lvm will (obviously) make this a bit trickier as you have to set
everything up while running on 2.4 with lvm1 tools and then upgrade.
Right now, I'm ignoring this case in mkinitrd -- will eventually get to
it.

> and, just to make things challenging, i'd like the option of
> adding RAID (lvmraid?) into the mix after the fact.  so, anyone
> tried this and have any advice?

You want to do LVM on top of RAID, not vice versa.  But it shouldn't
really complicate things.

>   1) i'm assuming i still need to keep the /boot partition as a
>      regular partition, right?  i can't boot from a logical volume
>      AFAIK

Correct

>   2) does this "vgconvert" utility require a logical volume to
>      be unmounted?

I believe it's online, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Cheers,

Jeremy