Re: [OT] - Kermit/Minicom connection

Fred - thanks for the reply..I put some more comment below

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:17 , fred smith <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> sent:

>On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 10:59:45AM -0600, McKeever Chris wrote:
>> Sory if this is slightly off post, been running in circles trying to find an answer
>>
>> I am trying to connect to our phone system via linux using either Kermit or Minicom.
>>
>> I am able to connect without a problem (after some wrestling), but once I am in, I am a bit limited in what I can do.
>> After login, I get prompted with the type of terminal I would want to use:
>>
>> Terminal Type (513, 715, 4410, 4425, VT220)
>>
>> I was under the impression the Kermit is VT220, but when I go in via Kermit backspace doesnt work.
>
>If you're speaking of Ckermit, it doesn't provide ANY terminal emulation.
>Your terminal is whatever the terminal is you're actually using. If you're
>logged into a LInux console (text console, not a GUI terminal window) your
>terminal type is "linux" (which is close enough to vt100 that most apps
>will work).  (perhaps you're thinking of MS-Kermit, or K95.)

got some streams corssed here..yes I am at a linux terminal (command line), and using CKermit..from my reading, I thought that was pretty
close to VT220 .. but seeing how I am having issues, that may explain it otherwise.

>> A more important issue, is using either Kermit or Minicom, is that the F3 'SEND' button doesnt work, this would be the button that sends
>
>Kermit, AFAIK, (and I've been using it for some years) doesn't provide
>any such feature as F3 == SEND. You must be confusing it with some other
>program that does that. (Again, perhaps you're thinking of MS-Kermit,
>or K95.)

F3 = send is the command key that the switch is looking for, not the SEND command via Kermit or any other program, but the F3 Function key
of a VT220 terminal or the likes.  Almost like a 'commit' button (or enter, but enter doesnt do the trick)

>OTOH, if your switch can do kermit-protocol file transfers (and if it
>actually implements the kermit protocol correctly--keep in mind that many
>3rd-party kermit implementations are buggy, to be gracious about it) then
>you have to actually type in the appropriate commands to kermit:
>
>	send filename

nah, it is looking for user input, kermit was just the vehicle to talk to the switch, no kermit commands after that, only switch

>and you may need to set protocol feature options first, depending on how
>flexible the kermit receiver (your switch) is.
>
>> updates to the switch.  I can move around within the interface, view stats, stations, etc, but if I try to change, there is no way.  minicom
uses
>> VT102

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
http://www.prupref.com

---- Prudential Preferred Properties   www.prupref.com