Re: printing to a network printer

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 22:42, Don wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 20:38, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>
> > Is samba installed on your FC1 machine and the printer is connected to
> > you FC1? If so, either your firewall is block access to samba or your
> > windows user is not allowed access to your Samba share. You might also
> > want to check whether the password is encrypted or not.
>
> When I installed FC1 I chose the "server install", but then selected
> "everything" ... so samba should be installed, but I didn't check. No,
> the printer is not connected to FC1. The printer is on the windows
> network. I want the FC1 box to be client on the windows network. I chose
> "no firewall" when I did the FC1 install... it's in a trusted
> environment...
>
> I need to print on the HP LaserJet 5Si from FC1. Either directly via
> tcp/ip jetdirect card, or through the windows network.

There seems to be a bug in the firewall configuration stuff.
If you configure no firewall, you get one anyway.  With no firewall
supposedly configured:
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables status
Table: filter
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp any
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW tcp dpt:smtp
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

and SMB traffic is blocked, stopping the SMB share discoveries.

You can work around this bug by doing:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
and then configuring the SMB printer.
Every time you want to print something, you will have to drop
the broken no-firewall firewall if you have restarted it.

Anybody got any ideas what the bug is?