Re: Installed with disastrous results

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 00:02, PCDEBB | Fedora-list wrote:
> Well I actually did install grub in the mbr.  It was a little tricky
> restoring the mbr (my win2k server cd isnt bootable but my win2k pro cd was)

Ah - okay. In my (few) dual boot systems, I have always taken this path
with a clean system, based on advice found googling...

- boot from my linux install media, and use the partition tool to make a
windows partition and a number of linux partitions (I am old-school and
dislike lumping limux into one or two partitions). I usually make
linux's /boot the first partition on the first disk, then windows the
second partition on the first disk. This setup is likely to work with
most bootloaders (Eg. lilo). It may be both lilo and grub don't require
this anymore.
- Drop out of the linux install and install windows from media in the
partition allocated
- reboot with linux install media. Redhat (and subsequently Fedora) do a
great job recognizing and accomodating an existing windows installation,
so I can let the installer (anaconda) create my grub config, which goes
in the MBR, not on /dev/hda1
- complete the linux install, reboot and test both bootloading options.

But I have always approached this problem with windows as the secondary
O/S, not with it already installed as the primary.

> Ben, what you have there is almost exact to what I had (read below).  My
> setup is a little weird tho.  I have two hard drives, and I have my linux
> install on the D: drive, so its like (it said somewhere) /dev/hdb3/ or some

I always try and have my linux boot partition close to the front of the
first disk, but I don't believe grub requires this.

> thing like that.  I usually let the install auto allocate the sizes for me,
> if I'm not mistaken I reserved 15gigs, which I may use partition majik to
> wipe those partitions, increase it to 20gigs and also make a fat32 partition
> of about 5 gigs to share between linux and windows (that's how I should do
> it right?)

Sounds fine - do you have a partition for linux swap?

> When I go back, just to make things clear from the start, I want to get some
> good info, and redo it fresh and clean and try to do it right.

Are you able to re-install windows, or do you want to avoid that? Is you
reinstall both OSes, I'd recommend the steps above. But if you have a
windows setup you are happy with, you probably don't want to reinstall
it.

> Ben, I found the code I posted on a forum, this is what I had:
>
> Somewhee I read that the splashimage will yield weird results, so at some
> point I commented that line out.

Shouldn't if you use the default one. I hosed grub a few times getting a
custom image in there, until I knew the correct image format/colour
depth.

> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd1,4)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb6
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
>         root (hd1,4)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
>         initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
> title Windows
>         unhide (hd0,0)
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)