Re: moving files / permissions?

Trevor Smith wrote:

I logged out, logged in as root, changed the fstab line to say:

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win2k vfat defaults,users 0 0

The option should be "user" not "users".

I logged out and back in as 'trevor' and this what I got when I tried
to move a file from the command line:
mv: cannot create regular file `/mnt/win2k/EnumerExample.java':
Permission denied

The "user" only has permission to write to the disk if he mounted it. Fix your fstab option, unmount the drive, log in as "trevor" and mount the drive as that user. You will then be able to write to it.

Bizarrely, dragging and dropping the file while logged in as root
causes a pop-up error message to be displayed (it says I don't have
permission) but the file IS moved (but only when logged in as root).

The access failure occurs because your file manager is trying to preserve permissions. It copies the file (which is fine), then tries to set the user/group and permissions on the new file which can't be done. vfat doesn't store file owner/group or permissions.

Of course, it's a FAT32 partition. Is that the same as "VFAT"? Or might
I be running into some problem because VFAT != FAT32 ?

Nope. vfat == fat32