Re: nvidia install with new 2129.nptl kernel

---------- Original Message -----------
From: david walcroft <david_walcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:13:34 +1000
Subject: nvidia install with new 2129.nptl kernel

> I seem to have the problem of removing the nvidia-module-kernel after
> booting to 2129.nptl,as X didnt boot,I 'rpm -e' at the shell and
> 'rpm -U' rpm said that it is already installed. I then boot back to
> 2115.nptl but I cannot remove this rpm,even tried rebuilding 'rpmdb'
>
> With this nvidia rpm,is there a method of installing to a non-active
> kernel similar to NVidia's .bin driver.
>
>   Thanks   david.
>
> --
------- End of Original Message -------

You don't need to remove the NVidia kernel module. You just need to boot into
the new kernel and recompile the Nvidia driver.

Goto to the directory where you stored the driver and issue the following:-

export CC=gcc32
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run (Then follow the prompts)

The driver will be rebuilt for the new kernel. You will NOT need to change
anything else. Run X, and all will run as before.

Just make sure that you have also gotten the Kernel Source as well, otherwise
the above proceedure will not work. (For the new kernel that is)

Wolf