printing to a network printer

I did a clean install of FC1 and need to run it on an otherwise all
MSWindows network....

I tried to set up a network printer (HP LaserJet 5Si) in two ways, with
no success.

First as a JetDirect printer (this is how I have it set from my windows
machine and it works fine.)

I can ping the printer ok, so the connection is there, but when I try to
print a test page, I get a blank sheet with a single line drawn across
the top. (I'm using the recommended driver (hp5gray, if I recall
correctly.)

So, I thought I would try defining the printer as a "Networked Windows
(SMB) Printer" (That's how most people in our office use it, I just like
to be different :-) The list of hosts on the network was displayed, but
I could not see any of the "shares" in order to see the printer I wanted
to select.

At no point did I have to log on to the network, which sort of surprised
me... maube that's why I can see the machines, but nothing ON those
machines is visible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don